Review of Alice in Zombieland

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.
Not going to lie, I love zombies and Alice in Wonderland, so I thought Alice in Zombieland would be right up my alley. Plus the cover is so awesome. On top of all that goodness, it was on sale on Amazon! Score!

  • The story was unique and the zombies even more unique. Since there are so many vampire / zombie books in the market right now, I always look for one that will stand out and come up with something unique and new.
  • I like Ali (Alice) and her story. I could really relate to the way she felt about her father until she knew the truth. It is always hard to have faith in something or someone we cannot see or understand.
  • I like Cole and his whole gang. They were interested and really kept the story moving.
  • The book was funny at time, which I always enjoy. A little giggling in a book makes me happy!
  • I am intrigued where the story is going to go. This book really set up for an intense 2nd book, so I am hoping to fit that into my reading schedule soon. 


  • This is definitely not a Alice in Wonderland retelling. They use the name Alice and a “white rabbit”, which is a cloud. But that is in. I kept waiting for Alice to go into Wonderland and it never happened. I was a little disappointed. If you are looking for an actual retelling, check out Unhinged instead.
  • There was a lot of parts that were drawn out, I remember thinking a couple times “man this is a long book.” Although by the end I ended up really enjoying it, there was some parts I could have taken out.
  • Kat was such an odd character for me. In the beginning she was really strong, and then she had a weak, mysterious part. When we were finally told what was wrong with her, I thought it was just extra fluff that was not needed. I am not sure if this is going to come up more in the series, but I just thought it was odd.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11300302-alice-in-zombieland



https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

23 comments

  1. Great review! I enjoyed this book, but agree with you-it's definitely not an Alice in Wonderland story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always need a little guidance when it comes to zombie books, otherwise I will read ALL OF THEM. I will have to hunt down a copy of this. Have you ever read The Looking Glass Wars? The first one was published in 2004 and I really enjoyed them, growing up. They were one of the YA series for which I awaited installments with bated breath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, exactly. I did enjoy it (though I wasn't too impressed with it and got a little bored halfway through) and I loved that it was zombies, which I still haven't read much off, since it's not my favourite thing to read. But seriously, the title just seems like very targeted for promotion only because I just didn't get why it was called it , since it really wasn't a retelling or much connected at all. Glad you still enjoyed it though, looking forward to seeing what you think of #2 ( I haven't read it yet.) :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that this isn't more Alice in Wonderland-centric, but I still think I'd like it simply because of the zombies. I'm going to add this one and Unhinged to my TBR!

    Kristen
    Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not an Alice in Wonderland retelling? That's weird. I get why they would use a similar title, but I feel like it's deceiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first heard about this book, the concept intrigued me, but the idea of zombies was off-putting. Your comment that the zombies were unique makes them sound better, though, and I actually like it when retellings differ vastly from the story on which they are based. I like to read the original book first, and if the plot is the same, I get bored.

    I'm glad you enjoyed this one despite your complaints and I hope you like book two even more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited to read this book and see what the zombies are like. I thought she'd go into Wonderland, so I'm glad to know she doesn't or else I'd be disappointed, too. I've read Splintered but haven't gotten to Unhinged yet (though I own it squee!). I'm glad you enjoyed this book! :)

    I feel so old saying my daughter read this book, lol, but she did! (She's eleven and a SUPER awesome reader! I'm so proud!) I keep bugging her to write a review I can post on my blog. She said the zombies are unique, too. She read the second one, too, and the times I was around her while she was reading, she kept saying, "Omigod, this book! Omigod, really, this book!" I'm so intrigued to know what caused her to say that! I asked if she loves Cole, and she just blushed. XD

    I love the MLP gif! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omigod *covers face in embarrassment* scratch that about the nonexistent MLP gif!! >.< lol

      Delete
  8. Hmmm. I have to admit that I'm just really not a fan of zombies. I don't know why exactly, I'm just not a fan. Especially when they are the love interest. Also, I'm surprised this isn't really a re-telling. I'm glad you enjoyed this for the most part and hope you like the sequel. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you enjoyed the for the most part! I really want to read it just because I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, I've been eye balling this one since I saw it come out. I didn't realize it wasn't a retelling though! So thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I"m not a big zombie fan. This sounds good though. I may have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew it wasn't an Alice in Wonderland re-telling so that didn't bother me. I actually really loved this one and the next one is even better. Cole!!!!! I'm just saying. I did enjoy the humor in the book. Glad you enjoyed it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. But...but I wanted an Alice in Wonderland retelling :/ Oh well. The story still sounds interesting though and I'm curious about the zombieland world building. That cover is downright gorgeous too! I would probably get it even if just for collection purposes :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally kept waiting for them to go to "wonderland" and it never happened!! I was truly confused. And I wasn't feeling the ghost-zombies or the Cole-Alice relationship. It felt a little Twilight to me. I can see how a lot of people like this book though. There were some cool parts to it. I just wanted wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes I agree with you, when I bought the book I was surprised to see it wasn't a retelling of Alice in Wonderland but well it was also really good! Just different. I haven't read book 2 but I should. I'm curious to see what you'll think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you seemed to enjoy this one more than I did, Missie. It was a snooze for me, but I did like the unique zombie aspect. But this one's definitely not an Alice in Wonderland retelling. :/ Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm totally confused that this book isn't a Alice in Wonderland retelling, I actually haven't heard favourable things, that's why I haven't picked it up yet.

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting. I just always assumed that this would be a retelling. I can't believe I didn't know that. It still looks pretty interesting to me, although I have not had the best of luck with zombie books.

    I will probably read this one but not for a while.

    Great review Missy

    Michelle @ Book briefs

    ReplyDelete
  19. How funny that this isn't a retelling of Alice in Wonderland! It's seems blatantly marketed in that direction. I'm glad you enjoyed this one despite the issues!

    Charlene @ Bookish Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds a bit misleading that it isn't an actual retelling....and I hate when stories drag. I'm out of my zombie phase of reading right now but I'll still shelve this one for a read later when I'm feeling like zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So... this wasn't exactly a retelling of Alice in Wonderland?! Zombies kinda freak me out and so I seldom venture into stories featuring them. Glad to see that you enjoyed reading the book even though some parts felt really drawn out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it is a little weird that it isn't a retelling of Alice in Wonderland since it gives you that impression. But that aside, I am looking forward to this book. I am not a big Zombie fan, but I have heard enough good things about it that I need to give it a try. There are exceptions to the rule!

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.