Review of Across the Universe

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Across the Universe has been on my radar for a while, but I never picked it up. I am so glad I decided to listen to the audiobook, it was definitely one of the most intriguing and smartest written YA books I have read in a while. The audiobook was read by Lauren Ambrose and Carlos Santos. It was 10 hours and 13 minutes long. I am excited to continue with the series and see what happens to Godspeed.

  • This book really held its own. It was unique, well-written and intriguing. It was so smart and really made you think. It was like Hitler met up with Star Trek.
  • I really liked both main characters. Let’s start with Amy. She is a teenage girl whose parents are important to the government and are chosen to be frozen to go to space. Amy is sort of given the choice of being frozen with her parents for 300 years. Amy’s dad lets her make a decision for herself, she can either stay on Earth with her aunt and live out her life here, or be frozen and go with her parents to start the “new Earth.”
  • Elder was such a neat character, he has no family and has known for his entire life that he was chosen to be the next leader of the ship, Godspeed. He has to learn about the ship, being a leader and what happened to Earth that needs to be fixed before starting a new planet.
  • The ship is massive and really cool, there are multiple levels, it is like a city within a ship. It was such cool world-building!
  • The people on the ship were very controlled and that was so mind-blowing. This book was definitely dystopian in nature and was one of the most well-done with description of why and how the people “ruined” Earth. Each of the people on Godspeed were multi-raced, the perfect mix of all races to make everyone the same. Everyone had the same hair color, skin color, eye color, ect. Amy comes into play with her fair skin and red hair she stands out so much since everyone else looks the same.
  • Eldest, the current ruler of the ship is tight lipped, but he has ways to control the population. It was so well-written and you had the desire to keep listening because you really needed to find out why the people on the ship act as they do. I don’t want to give away secrets!
  • A good dystopian has a leader that is so awful you have to hate them. Eldest was that perfect fit. He choose to lead the people of Godspeed almost like Hitler. He is actually quoted in the book saying that Hitler was a wise man, that there is discord when people look different.
  • I really thought there would have been a romance, or at least more of one, in the book. There really isn’t even slow burn. The cover has two people almost kissing, so I guess I was surprised when the book ended without. (I am not saying that every YA needs a romance, I just was expecting it with this one)
  • I enjoyed the book a lot, but there was just not enough feels in the book to make me rate it a 5, it is not a book I swoon over and hold dear to my heart. It was a book that appealed more to my brain.


“Don’t you see?’ Eldest says. I think he’s talking to Elder, not me, but I’m the one he’s looking at. ‘The people of Godspeed have simple needs, simple wants. Give them some sparkly lights and they call it hope. Give them hope and they’ll do anything. They’ll work when they don’t want to. They’ll breed when the ship needs it and they’ll smile the whole time.”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8235178-across-the-universe





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

12 comments

  1. Nice review Missie! I've been a little iffy on whether I wanted to read this book or not, but you've definitely convinced my to pick it up sometime in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review! I always love your layout for the reviews so organized! I have had my eye on this book for awhile. This makes me want to bump it up on my TBR and get it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What! See, I would think this one would be all about some romance in space. Guess not. Still want to read it though and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    GOSH AND THE COVER!!! I have always loved this cover. Out of this World, beautiful :)
    Thanks for sharing Missie ♥
    xoxo Michelle @Book Hangovers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book. The world building was just great. I have no idea why I haven't read the next two books yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I was excited by your comparison to Star Trek and then disappointed that it doesn't really have any romance! I've heard lots of good things about this one though so I want to give it a shot. Especially since you really enjoyed it despite the lack of romance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHH I loved this book <3 Like really loved. Sadly, I don't have the first edition cover (the kissing) but the one with her on the ship. I really want the first edition one; it's so much prettier. And, I actually liked the romance. It was there but it wasn't overpowering.
    Lovely review <3
    Jackie ~
    No Bent Spines

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had a great time with it. I heard so many great things about it. I never tried an audiobook yet but one day I'll try that. My only problem is that I have a problem with books about space and it's the reason I haven't read this one yet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favourite series. I rated the first book a 4 as well but A Million Sons and Shades of Earth were even better. Elder is so freaking awesome, I just love him! I hope you continue on with the series.
    Monique @
    Mo _Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this yet. I may have to suggest it to one of my reviewers. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah the cover is a bit misleading isn't it? I was surprised by that too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had this book on my TBR pile forever and now I am quite disappointed to hear that there was no romance whatsoever. The cover sure let me believe that I could burry myself in all the feels the book would provoke. But maybe it will change in the next books of the series? I sure hope so! I think I'll wait a little bit longer before I pick it up...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you picked this up. I really enjoyed this trilogy. And it's actually one that I found got much better as it goes on. Especially Shades of Earth. That one just blew me away. What an ending!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.