Review of Under The Never Sky

 Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.






Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi is one of those series I had heard a lot about but hadn’t started. I love being able to start a series when I can binge-read the whole thing since all three books are out. The book was ok, not horrible, I did like it, but it felt like a lead-up book. I have heard the series gets better, so I am definitely going to continue reading. I listened to the audiobook which was 9 hours, 39 minutes, read by Bernadette Dunne Flagler.


The whole idea of realms and eye pieces was really cool, they say that authors tend to see the future before engineers and I definitely think this is something that could happen in the future.
The dystopian world was original and was fairly well done with the world-building. There was some holes, but interesting none the less.
The romance was slow burn and the characters took time to really figure each other out, I appreciate a well-written romance.
The special skills of outsiders were really interesting, it was so neat to think of emotions have certain smells.


I wish the world-building gave a little bit more, I always want more back story with the “world-ending” portion that lead to the dystopian world.
This book definitely felt like a lead up to the series. It was what I like to call “first-book syndrome.” I am excited for the rest of the series because I have heard the final book in the series is the best and I am ready for a series that won’t let me down at the end (aka Allegiant).
I just felt like I was disconnected from the story and I think it is because of the reader for the audiobook. She was older and I feel like the voice that reads the story needs to be relatable to the character. It felt like my mom reading me the book. It really through me off. I may have liked the book better reading it in paper format.

 
“She knew how to put one foot in front of the other even when every step hurt. And she knew there was pain in the journey, but there was also great beauty. She'd seen it standing on rooftops and in green eyes and in the smallest, ugliest rock.”




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

12 comments

  1. Great review! This series is on my TBR list. Sucks that is has first book syndrome though but glad to hear it gets better.

    Happy Reading!

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to netflix series too. :)
    I felt the same about this one. It was alright. But I wasn't a big fan of Aria and I felt the world building had a lot of holes in it.
    I did enjoy the next two books, but for me they still remained good not great.
    Great review, Missie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely need to read this series. I can always forgive first book syndrome if the following books make up for it, and I have my fingers crossed with this series. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the first and second books. Can't wait to read the third book now that I hear it's the best. The novellas were pretty good too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I've seen this cover around but never really looked into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just borrowed this book from the library :D It sounds really interesting. I hope I will like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes... the typical hyped up first book. I know that these books can be good but the ones that are just all about setting up for the second book can annoy me sometimes. I have wanted to read this series myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a series that is on my to-read list. I've seen a lot of reviews about it. We'll have to see. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this too! Still haven't gotten around to reading it. -_- It's just a library book, so my ARCs come first...buuut, I see most people loving it. I kind of get annoyed with books that are so "first" books, that they really don't accomplish much but set up a story. I like it when they have a full plot by themselves. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very well-balanced review, Missie! I want to read this series myself, but again, just haven't gotten around to it.....sigh....

    It's too bad you didn't like it that much. i'd still like to read it, in spite of your comments. But I'll definitely be watching for the negative (as well as the positive) things you mentioned.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's interesting that they would have chosen an older narrator for this story. Maybe it's supposed to be Aria, years later?

    The romance is definitely one of my favourite parts of this series, but I think you'll find you get to see a lot more of the world in Through the Ever Night - hopefully it irons out some of those wrinkles you found!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was all excited to read this series, but now I'm starting to think that I will put it off a bit longer. I look forward to your other reviews for this series.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.