Review of Siege and Storm

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

Siege and Storm is the second book in the Grisha series by Leigh Bardugo. I immediately put this one on request at the library the second I was done with Shadow and Bone. I had heard from multiple bloggers the second book was just as good, or even better than the first.

  • Alina has really grown and is coming into the push-and-pull of power. I really liked the dynamic of the good vs. evil happening inside of her and I am sure in the final book she is going to have to choose who she really wants to do.
  • Mal, I love this boy so much. He is so strong, but loves Alina for who is really is. He sees her good and wants her to connect with that good. They struggle during the book, which is hard to read, but it is good to see him love her and be there for her.
  • Strumhound was so funny and his storyline wove really well into the book. I enjoyed his character, even though he challenged Mal and Alina, it definitely brought this book to life.
  • There was no middle book syndrome with this second book in the series. It was a full storyline, action-packed and left for you wanting more. I am super excited for Ruin and Rising, which is scheduled to come out June 17th. It will be perfect for a weekend at the lake (baring that we even get summer!!!)
  • I love the fairy tale-esque story with the amplifiers, no spoilers intended, but I am excited to see how that whole situation works out

  • I hated the Darkling so much after the end of the first book that I really didn’t want to hear any more about him. I guess he is a good villian. I was just frustrated when he kept appearing to Alina.
  • The Darkling’s mother, I really hope she has more to do with the third book, because she really stucked it up in this one. She risked her life to save Alina and then hides in her cabin all day. Boo!
“I have loved you all my life, Mal,” I whispered through my tears. “There is no end to our story.”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14061955-siege-and-storm?from_search=true
 


https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

12 comments

  1. Ahhh I really need to read this series!! Nice to know that the series did not go downhill at all with the second book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sturmhond was such a delight in this book! Definitely agree about the no middle book syndrome - Bardugo made this one exciting!

    Glad you enjoyed it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah! I keep forgetting about this series. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are enjoying this series. I need to find the time to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for Ruin and Rising! I loved Sturmhond - he's probably my favorite character in the entire series. The Darkling is a FANTASTIC villain - and according to Leigh we get to find out his real name in R&R :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha I loved the Darkling in the first book - NOT as a love interest, but I loved the atmosphere surrounding him and the mysterious villain aura. I was a bit disappointed by this one I found it long and the plot itself didn't progress much, but fantasy is not my go-to genre at all so I need a lot to keep me compelled to the story. I do think book 3 will bring my fangirling back though seeing as how this one ended!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, this one is on my shelf but admittedly I haven't reached for it yet. I'm glad there's no middle book syndrome here!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is in my to read list! I loved the first book. I'm glad you liked this one!
    Bethzaida @ Bookittyblog

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new characters are AWESOME! And Mal is just adorable, I agree! I can't wait for the last one to come out. But I so disagree, I still adore the Darkling. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy to see that you enjoyed this one. This series is on my TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just picked up both of these, and hope to read them both, back to back, very soon! I'm glad to see that you gave this one four stars. But I know how it feels when you dislike a character, or two. Especially when one makes a huge move, and then falls of planet earth, like *poof* nothing. Anyways, good to see the second book lived up to the hype of the first one!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.