Review of Perfect Ruin

On the floating city of Internment, you can be anything you dream, unless you approach the edge. Morgan Stockhour knows getting too close can lead to madness, like her older brother Len, a Jumper. She takes solace in her best friend Pen, and in Basil, the boy she’s engaged to marry. When she investigates the first murder in a generation, she meets Judas. The suspect was betrothed to the victim, but Morgan believes he is innocent. Nothing can prepare Morgan for the secrets she will find – or whom she will lose.







Perfect Ruin by Lauren Destefano was such an interesting book. I really hadn't heard much of this book before I grabbed it, but I fell in love with this beautiful cover. I read the whole book yesterday, it was another -30 below wind chill day and I was not going anywhere, perfectly content being a couch potato!

  • The world-building was amazing. Lauren created another earth, but it was pulled off and separated from the other part of earth, floating in space. It was such a neat concept and so well done.
  • The Internnent society was really interesting, they control the population and children are coupled up immediately with their betrothed.
  • Morgan, the MC was intriguing. She was smart, just naive. It was a good combination for the story. 
  • I had a book crush on Basil, he was so sweet, strong and loyal. 
  • I loved the idea of the blood rings - "our clear rings catching the light. We had to wear them on chains around our necks until last year, when they finally fit us. When we're married, the jeweler will open them and they'll be filled with our blood - mine in his ring, his in mine."  
  • This book did have a bit of that first book syndrome, setting up the rest of the story for the next book. It didn't bother me completely, because the world-building was so well done, but it definitely left me wanting more. Alas, the second book doesn't come out until 2015.
"At age seventy-five, we'll be dispatched in order to make room for new births. To live beyond our useful years would be selfish. That's how we show our gratitude to the god in the sky. We live our lives, and then when we have no more to give but our lives, that's what we do. We send our ashes up for the sky god to collect. The ashes become part of a current, a force, instead of just one body. It's called the tributary - a perfect harmony of souls. Until then, we're all living on borrowed time, on a floating city he allows in his domain with his clouds and his stars."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18076780-perfect-ruin?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

19 comments

  1. 2015!? I did not know that!! I liked this book also but the lack of storyline bugged me a bit more. The world building was outstanding though and I'm really intrigued to see how the second book will pick up on everything she set up in book 1. Great review!

    Amanda @ i solemnly swear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I'm glad you liked it. I think I'll have to read this book soon then =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The worldbuilding sounds excellent! I'm intrigued by the floating other earth aspect, that sounds fascinating.

    Nice review :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review. I picked this book up a few weeks ago when it was a kindle daily deal. I will have to give this one a read soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to check out this book for a while since it sounds so interesting and different. I think I'll definitely be picking it up soon! Great review :)

    Louise - Nerdette Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa this sounds super cool, really like the way you set up your reviews :) I'm definitely going to consider picking this up !!

    Riv
    https://extreemeobsessed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had my eye on this one for a while, but I might wait until closer to 2015 so I don't have to wait as long for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the term first book syndrome, it fits quite a few books I've read. Hope book two is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quote is so haunting. It alone makes me want to pick this one up! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Lauren's previous series! This sounds so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard that the world building is just beautifully done and I'm glad that you also think that! I'll have to read this one soon! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed your review! Lauren is an amazing talent, but I think I might wait a bit to read this one as 2015 seems awfully far away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of Laurend DeStefano...ack, WHERE have I heard of her before?! I feel like she's kind of a famous YA name?? I should look it up! I do love that cover, plus a character named Basil?! YES PLEASE.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds really interesting, especially the blood rings! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woah, those Blood Rings sound completely scary, but somehow they just make sense! I loved the quote you picked out too. Lovely review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was surprised by how much I liked this one. I was hoping to progress more and get more answers overall, but the world building and the originality was really awesome! And yes the blood rings was really neat! Yay Basil! Man it's funny how much you forget in a book! I do remember the ending though and GAH I can,T wait to see what happens! The whole time I was dying to know what earth knew about the floating city bc I'm sure there's more to it than they know!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the first I've read of this of this book and I only read 1-2 of her books from her first series. This sounds really good, I love the sound of the world and Basil/Morgan sound like characters I will like!

    Now following you via Bloglovin' and GFC

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been wanting to read this book since a long time ago, the synopsys really caught my interest! Thanks for this review, now I'll definitwly grab a copy on my next visit to a bookstore!
    By the way, what a lovely blog you have, Missie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was reading this on my pc while it was free on.....epicreads... i think it was? But I never got to finish it cause well let's face it, reading stuff on your pc after everything else, downright sucks. But yeah, the story was kind of enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.