Review of No Place Like Oz and First 12 Chapters of Dorothy Must Die

In this digital original novella, Dorothy travels back to Oz to reunite with old friends, but her story may not have a happy ending. No Place Like Oz is a prequel to the forthcoming novel Dorothy Must Die.

After returning to Kansas, Dorothy Gale has realized that the dreary fields of Kansas don’t compare to the vibrant landscapes of Oz. And although she’s happy to be reunited with Aunt Em, she misses her friends from the yellow brick road. But most of all, Dorothy misses the fame and the adventure. In Kansas she’s just another prairie girl, but in Oz she was a hero. So Dorothy is willing to do anything to get back, because there really is no place like Oz. But returning to the land she left comes at a price, and after Dorothy is through with it, Oz will never be the same.

Perfect for fans of Alex Flinn, Marissa Meyer, and Gregory Maguire, No Place Like Oz is a dark reimagining of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. Building off of its rich mythology, Danielle Paige creates an edgy, thrilling story for teens that chronicles the rise and fall of one of the literature’s most beloved characters. This digital original novella is a prequel that sets the stage for the forthcoming novel Dorothy Must Die.

I have been super excited for Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige, so I bought the digital novella from Itunes, the prequel No Place Like OZ. It was interesting to see how the story was set up for Dorothy Must Die, which is releasing April 1st.

  • Dorothy’s character was developed and it was almost hard to wrap around her being different from the sweet little girl in the movie. The prequel starts after Dorothy has returned from Oz the first time. People think she is crazy or trying to get attention with her stories of Oz. She finds herself homesick for Oz and wanting to go back.
  • The world building for Oz is interesting. I like how flowers had eyes, there was creepy, fear trees and fresh buttered corn right from the stalk. I am interested to see how much further the world building goes with the full novel.
  • We are introduced to a new character, a princess fairy named Princess Ozma. She has taken over ruling Oz, claiming that she is from the original line of fairies that created OZ.

  • Once again, not my favorite POV. It was written in First Person. I do see how it gave you insight into Dorothy’s internal struggle. I know I should get over this dislike for First Person, but alas, her it is still on my gripes.
  • I liked learning about Ozma. She was interesting, but once again not fully developed. I could not figure out if she was good or bad. I am not sure if she is going to be more developed in Dorothy Must Die.

“For everything that’s wonderful, there’s something wicked, too. That’s the price you pay for magic.”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17331483-no-place-like-oz?from_search=true






I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.
But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.

What happened?
Dorothy. They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.
I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.
I've been trained to fight.
And I have a mission:
Remove the Tin Woodman's heart.
Steal the Scarecrow's brain.
Take the Lion's courage.
Then and only then—Dorothy must die!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18053060-dorothy-must-die

Travel back to Oz and take a deliciously devilish walk down a darker brick road by checking out the first 12 chapters of the highly anticipated DOROTHY MUST DIE now: http://www.epicreads.com/blog/read-the-first-12-chapters-of-dorothy-must-die/

In this reimagined Oz, the Good Witches can’t be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and Dorothy has become its tyrannical ruler.  Gritty, compelling, and high stakes, DOROTHY MUST DIE by Danielle Paige reimagines L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz series in a way you've never seen before. 

Arriving just in time for the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz and already slated to become a CW show produced by Heroes creator Tim Kring, DOROTHY MUST DIE by Danielle Paige will be on sale April 1st.


https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

15 comments

  1. I'm not a big novella person so I decided to skip this prequel though I've been dying for Dorothy Must Die! I'm glad if gave a little insight and background though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely can't wait until Dorothy Must Die! I've never read a novella before, but I think I'm going to wait until after I read the first book. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited to read this. I actually like novellas a lot and I think they deliberately leave out lots of details to get you to read the full length book when it comes out. It sounds like it's going to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I can't wait to read this book! I like the new creepy twist on Oz and it would be interesting seeing what Dorothy is like. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though I've never been a big fan of the Oz books, I think this sounds really interesting so I'm looking forward to your full review of the first book! I like that the author is taking such a different spin on the original!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh - Dorothy and her team are now the bad guys?? That's kinda unexpected! I wonder how Amy could undo all the gifts the Good Witch gave to the Lion, Scarecrow and Tin Man. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the novella - I'll have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dorothy Must Die sounds really interesting. Looking forward to the full review, because I am such a fan of retellings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard anything good about that prequel...but I find it weird when prequels are released before books. I mean, in "time" wise it makes sense...but I usually appreciate the "extra scenes" after I've read the actual BOOK. Anyway! Might be just me. XD I really want to read this, but I'm hearing mixed stuff about it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry, I am usually not a huge fan of first-person POV either. You sometimes just need a really good book to convince you otherwise. But you'll always have your preferences :)

    Great review!

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apparently, I've been living under a rock and didn't hear about Dorothy Must Die. For shame. I'm going to have to pick this one up along with the prequel!

    Kristen @ Pretty Little Pages

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been much of a Wizard of Oz fan but I'm intrigued by the idea of Dorothy wanting to travel back to Oz after getting home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not a big novella person, especially if you HAVE to read it to understand more into the story/characters. Anyway, I am so excited for Dorothy Must Die!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait for Dorothy Must Die! I just one clicked No Place Like Oz and will probably read that tonight! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dorothy Must Die looks so, so good. I can't wait to get my hands on this book and read it!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  15. This novella was so great. Set up my excitement for the story even more. :)

    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.