Review of Liv, Forever

When Liv Bloom lands an art scholarship at Wickham Hall, it’s her ticket out of the foster system. Liv isn’t sure what to make of the school’s weird traditions and rituals, but she couldn’t be happier. For the first time ever, she has her own studio, her own supply of paints. Everything she could want.

Then she meets Malcolm Astor, a legacy student, a fellow artist, and the one person who’s ever been able to melt her defenses. Liv’s only friend at Wickham, fellow scholarship kid Gabe Nichols, warns her not to get involved, but life is finally going Liv’s way, and all she wants to do is enjoy the ride.

But Liv’s bliss is doomed. Weeks after arriving, she is viciously murdered and, in death, she discovers that she’s the latest victim of a dark conspiracy that has claimed many lives. Cursed with the ability to see the many ghosts on Wickham’s campus, Gabe is now Liv’s only link to the world of the living. To Malcolm.

Together, Liv, Gabe, and Malcolm fight to expose the terrible truth that haunts the halls of Wickham. But Liv must fight alone to come to grips with the ultimate star-crossed love.
I was so fangirl over the cover for Liv, Forever by Amy Talkington . It has to be one of my all-time favorites. Plus, I love boarding schools with a mystery.

  • The history behind the boarding school was really interesting, the mystery of the ghosts and their paths were intriguing.
  • The art history in the book was awesome. You can definitely tell that the author is passionate about art and knows her stuff.
  • Liv wasn't an awful main character. I could see us being friends. I just really am not a huge fan of first person POV, it always seems to make the characters more selfish.
  • I really liked both the guys, Gabe and Malcolm. They were interesting and I like that they finally decide to work together when it means saving lives.
  • This is one of those times I would like a half star. I would have rated this more as 3.5 than a full 4. The beginning did not intrigue me, I would have rated it a 2 until Liv started investigating her own death.
  • There is insta-love. ARGH. This book probably would have been a 5 for me if Malcolm didn't tell Liv that he loved her so early on. It was going ok, closer to slow-burn and then he pops out "I love you." BARF!

"Impressive,” I said, downplaying the fact I was dying inside. Brain exploding like a Pollock. Heart melting like one of Dalí’s clocks.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18077961-liv-forever




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

11 comments

  1. More insta-love? Nooo! This seems like one I'll enjoy regardless. I'll keep it on my TBR list. Thanks for the review, Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't always dislike insta-love, so I'm really intrigued by your mostly positive review. LIV FOREVER sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the cover, but by it I wasn't really expecting it be what it is, and then I read the synopsis and whoa-mine. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like it's as good as it looks. I love art, so that should be fun for me because that is always welcomed to be in books. I'll read them, haha. Shame about the insta-love though, especially since it didn't really start out as one, which is actually worse than if it really was an insta-love, it sucks you in more and then hits you in the face, and that's just mean. ;)

    Glad you enjoyed it despite that though, I think I'm really going to like this one. :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really interesting - especially the fact that the history / world-building is so well-fleshed out! And Liv sounds like an awesome character; it's always fun when you can see yourself being friends with a certain character! And even though I'm not a huge fan of insta-love (is anyone?!), I'm glad you found the romantic interests interesting!

    Thanks so much for sharing Missy, and, as always, fabulous review!

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books set in boarding schools always call to me. I love the aura, the creepyness and atmosphere they give out often. I actually got an email to review this book and when I said yes they never sent it to me to pfft to that! Too bad about the insta love - why is that still around haven't they all seen our complaints yet? haha. Good to know in advance though! Great review, muffin!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo for instalove. I like the idea of a dead girl investigating her own death though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh for the instalove, I think lots of books could do without it these days. The cover freaks me out and your mention of ghosts kind of made me a bit scared lol! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read this, despite some the issues you mentioned. It's got some really good blogger reviews so far. And as for half stars, you can do half stars if you want to! I do, I couldn't rate books without them:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha love that gif!!

    I was really excited for this one, until I heard that the narrator came of as kind of whiney and selfish and that the romance quickly took a turn for the worse. And now you've confirmed my fears.

    I really like the sounds of the mystery aspects though, and I'm a HUGE suck for boarding school books. So I still might give this one a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no Insta-Love??? I really want to like this book because yeah the cover... and it sounds really cool. But I haven't had good luck with these types of books in the past. Hopefully I'll like it better than the other ones I've been reading :) Great review... I like your review style!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Normally insta-love bothers me, but, for some reason, it didn't at all with LIV, FOREVER. I think because, in this case, the two characters really did fit together and I felt like they would have been epic Liv didn't meet such an untimely demise. I mean, even in death, they were kind of epic.

    Plus, I have to forgive the insta-love because it kind of needed to happen since she died so quickly. The one thing I hate more than insta-love is long term established relationship in YA. They are just so boring to me! If I start a book and the MC is in a happy, committed relationship, I almost always lose interest. Isn't that horrible?!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.