Review of The Deep End of the Sea

What if all the legends you’ve learned were wrong?

Brutally attacked by one god and unfairly cursed by another she faithfully served, Medusa has spent the last two thousand years living out her punishment on an enchanted isle in the Aegean Sea. A far cry from the monster legends depict, she’s spent her time educating herself, gardening, and desperately trying to frighten away adventure seekers who occasionally end up, much to her dismay, as statues when they manage to catch her off guard. As time marches on without her, Medusa wishes for nothing more than to be given a second chance at a life stolen away at far too young an age.

But then comes a day when Hermes, one of the few friends she still has and the only deity she trusts, petitions the rest of the gods and goddesses to reverse the curse. Thus begins a journey toward healing and redemption, of reclaiming a life after tragedy, and of just how powerful friendship and love can be—because sometimes, you have to sink in the deep end of the sea before you can rise back up again.
I feel in love with the cover of Deep End of the Sea by Heather Lyons, plus I got a great deal on Amazon, so I had to read it. I was excited to read a Greek mythology retelling, especially about Medusa!

  • The author did a great job winding in Greek mythology to an updated love story. 
  • I absolutely adored Hermes, Hades and Persephone.
  • It was a quick, easy read. I would classify it as the new adult genre, and since I haven't really stepped into that genre, it was a good gateway book.
  • I didn't completely love Medusa. She seemed so weak. I realize that life did not do well for her, but still I really enjoyed her more when she started to live for herself.
  • The world-building was lacking for me. I would love to have heard more about the island that Medusa initially lived on and then more about Olympus.
"Death isn't beautiful. Too often than not, it's messy and brutal; even when done in sleep, there's still that theft of breath, that failure of heart. Death is an act of violence. I should know. I am one of the most prolific murders in history."

"I've thought them all worse than the monster I was accused of being. Heartless, fickle beings who loved to torment mortals on the turn of a dime. Maybe I've judged them all without getting to know them first, just as surely as history has judged me."

"The irony is not lost on me that I finally make Death's acquaintance just when I decide life is worth living."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18844839-the-deep-end-of-the-sea





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

21 comments

  1. I love Greek mythology! I've always found it incredibly interesting. I enjoyed your review Missie, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize this was about Medusa. That definitely makes it more interesting, but I don't know if I like the fact that she is a weak character. I always think of Medusa as a badass. I'll have to check this out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review :D I'm glad you kind of enjoyed this. <3 not sure if it is for me.. but I loooove Greek Myth now after having read Percy Jackson, lol. <3 Didn't really know anything about it before doing so :)
    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard a bit about this and just wasn't convinced yet to buy. But it is only $3.99 on Amazon for Kindle... Should I? Ah, doing it. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow this cover is awesome! I don't think i'd heard of this one before but I love Greek mythology so this one is def. one I'll keep in mind. I also haven't read anything other than contemporaries when it comes to NA so this would be fun to try. Glad you liked it even thought the world building could have been better. Hades and Persephone are my fav characters in Greek Myth books so who cares about Medusa! Pfft! >,<

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhh Greek Mythology! I don't really care about Medusa, but the cover looks super amazing! I also have absolutely no money for books right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an interesting read. I love Greek mythology stories; however, the lack of world building worries me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made very bad experiences with retellings of Greek mythology, most of the time simply because I found the actual myth way better. As about the world building, even though I haven't read the book, I don't think there is much to tell or describe about Olympus for that matter. Take it from someone who has spend almost every summer in the past decade there. Olympus is boring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness a Medusa book!? Ah, I must read this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm.... too bad you didn't love it. I've been very intrigued by the idea of a book with Medusa as the misunderstood heroine. I think I'll still give it a try, but I'll temper my expectations a bit.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOOOOH, I haven't heard of this but I LOVE Greek mythology! And THAT COVER. Plus I like the idea of reading about Medusa, since she's always the bad guy. :) Great review!

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review, I'm always up for a interesting viewpoint or different direction of a well-know story. I know your 'Top Tens' are prompts from the Broke and the Bookish, but I'd be really interested in knowing your top ten fairytale/mythology retellings sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read anything that involves mythologies and this one sounds like a safe start. add to that that this is about Medusa.. a character I don't really give a care so much in terms of mythology. and it's a standalone novel! too bad the world building's lacking a bit.. but I'm still definitely giving this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like New Adult novels but I'm glad you liked this one! It sucks that the world building isn't very good especially since it's all about mythology and stuff. I would have expected it to be great but anyway, lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Greek mythology, so I might try this one just for that. It sounds like an interesting take on Medusa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Missie, I nominated you for the liebster award =D you can check out the post here
    http://moniquesmobooks.blogspot.ca/2014/03/liebster-award-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a big fan of Greek mythology so this book sounds really interesting :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book definitely interested me. It looks totally intriguing. Thanks for the review. I'm definitely still interested in checking it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh I'd never heard of this before but I LOVE Greek mythology retellings so I'm definitely adding this to my wishlist! It's sounds like such a great book, shame that Medusa seemed a bit weak. Great review! :)

    Laura @ What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also a fan of Greek mythology retellings :D This one sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmm... this one sounds interesting. I like finding new novels in unique settings (or settings I don't usually read) so this one might be one to look into. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.