Review of Days of Blood and Starlight

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.


Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

Oh baby, Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor just made me more obsessed with this series. I am glad I do not have to wait too long for the end of the series. The final book, Dreams of Gods & Monsters is due out April 8th, 2014. I listened to this one as an audiobook as well, it was again read by Khristine Hvam and was 15 hours, 24 minutes long.

  • We are back to just Karou and I could not be happier, I LOVE her. I literally want to dye my hair blue and tattoo eyes on my palms!
  • Zuzana and Mik are so amazing together and hilarious. I tried to find the excerpt where they talk about Mik staying “I would stick my head down monsters throats to look for you.” But I couldn’t find it anywhere on the net. I laughed out loud a few times, almost spitting out coffee on my keyboard at work. Oops!
  • I was so entranced by the new location, the desert of Morocco, how amazing is that? I have always dreamed about wanting to go there and now I have all the more reason to add it to my travel bucket list.
  • I loved the additional characters in the Chimaera world. Although I hated the Wolf man being back in her life, it was fun to learn more about their world and how they recreate Chimaera like Brimstone used to do. (I could write a whole post on Brimstone, man he was like the Dumbledore of the Chimaera world)
  • The storyline was interesting, although this book does a bit of middle book syndrome, ending in a “to be continued,” it does have a point of choosing good vs. evil, peace vs. revenge and where your loyalty lies.
  • I am just not that into Akiva. I don’t know why, but I cannot get all swoony over him and found myself zoning out during the angel portions of the book. I was so enamored with Karou and Zuzana that I just wanted them all the time. They should seriously host a daily podcast or something!
“Perhaps fate laid out your life for you like a dress on a bed, and you could either wear it or go naked.”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12812550-days-of-blood-starlight?from_search=true


 

https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

11 comments

  1. LOL you're so right with the fact that Brimstone is the Dumbledore of Chimaera. I miss him :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like Akiva either. I don't want Karou to end up with him. He is ridiculous (and not in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still trying to fit this into my reading schedule. I really loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but it's been so long since I read it, I hope I can just dive into this one without too much trouble, LOL! Now I'm curious to revisit Akiva. I honestly don't remember him that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first one a while ago, but don't really remember much about it. >.< I would have to re read it before this one! Hopefully, I can soon!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why I haven't read this series yet. I definitely need to!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should totally dye your hair! Anyway, I NEED TO START THIS SERIES! It sounds amazing and eyes on your palms? Dude, I am SO in. The angel guy sounds pretty boring though. Great review! Hopefully the last one is as great for you as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I skimmed this but took notice of your rating as I'm yet to read this series, but I do own books 1 & 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sequel sounds great! It suck that has a bit of middle book syndrome but at least it sounds like it lay some groundwork for the final book. I'll prob give this series a go when all the books are released :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed the series :D and that the final volume is not that far off - just one more month! Maybe I should marathon the series when the third volume comes out :)

    Witless Fool @ Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, because I just bought it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zuzana and Mik are the best! I really need to catch up and start this book soon, the new locations and characters sound intriguing.

    Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.