Review of Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?



Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor was one of the most unique books I have ever read. I was in love at first, a bit disappointed in the middle and then ready for the second book by the end of the first. I actually started the second already. I listened to the audiobook which was read by Khristine Hvam and was 12 hours, 32 minutes long.

  • The story and world-building were epic. The angels and chimaera were so intriguing and interesting, I was eating it up.
  • I was absolutely in love with Karou and Zuzana. They were hilarious and I so badly wanted to be their friend in real life. I could totally see me curling up with them at Poison Kitchen, eating some goulash and blogging. It would be perfect. If I ever decide to open a restaurant, it would be my own version of Poison Kitchen. SO AMAZING. I immediately Googled it because I really wanted it to be a real place.
  • Brimstone was so awesome. It know he was technically the “bad” guy, but really, the whole realm, trading for teeth and wishes. So cool, it was so fun to visualize. I have heard this is possibly going to be made into a movie and I cannot wait!
  • This is one of those books where the insta-love is actually done right, it works completely and did not feel fake or forced.
  • The narrating of the audiobook was done really well, Brimestone, Zuzana and Karou all have very different voices and so it was done really well and brought the characters to life.

  • I am trying hard not to spoil anything, because it did sneak up on me a bit, but when the truth of Karou’s past was revealed and the book started to go back and forth between present and past, it got a bit boring. I was so in love with Karou’s character and I didn’t feel that connection with Madrigal nearly as much. By the end of the story, I was more into Madrigal, but we didn’t get the opportunity to connect with her as we did with Karou.
  • This one was a bit difficult to listen to as an audiobook. It took me a while to get all the names down, I mean Karou, Zuzana, Akiva, Razgut, Izil, chimaera, and these were just the start! Uffda! Finally by the end of the book I had it all figured out, but I definitely had to look at Wikipedia to get the spelling to write this review!

"I don’t know many rules to live by,”he’d said. “But here’s one. It’s simple. Don’t put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles – drug or tattoo – and …no inessential penises, either.”
“Inessential penises?” Karou had repeated, delighted with the phrase in spite of her grief. “Is there such as a thing as an essential one?”
“When an essential one comes along, you’ll know,” he’d replied. “Stop squandering yourself, child. Wait for love.”
“Love.” Her delight evaporated. She’d thought that was love.
“It will come, and you will know it,” Brimstone had promised, and she so wanted to believe him. He’d been alive for hundreds of years. Hadn’t he?



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8490112-daughter-of-smoke-bone




+

https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

15 comments

  1. I really enjoyed this book when I read it back in August, I thought the world building and story line was amazing! But I do have to agree with out on the whole Karuo/Madrigal's past! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the sequel because I still have yet to pick it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the same way for me. Zoomed through the first part, ehhhhh during the middle and biting my nails off at the end. I was at the bookstore in less than 15 mins after reading it, buying book 2, Days of Blood & Starlight!!! lol Then not even a week after buying book 2, I won a paperback copy from Goodreads and Little, Brown and Company :) I was gonna start reading it but then decided to wait a week or two before the third book comes out April 17th.
    Great Review! I always love how you break it day with the pros and cons!!
    xoxox Book Hangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm planning on starting this series soon, probably after the third book comes out so I won't have to wait :)
    So yeah, I can't wait to get started with all the hype. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was recommended to me from a friend on Goodreads, and I've been slacking on picking it up. I don't think I'd much like the audiobook version with all of the names to sort out. But I'm still determined to pick up a copy to read eventually! Thanks for the review, Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I hear are great things about this book and the series. Great review I'm glad you enjoyed it :D Paulina @ Tangled In Pages

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I just read this book last month and FELL IN LOVE! It's been sitting on my shelf for a year - A YEAR and I hadn't read it even though I had a good friend who did and LOVED IT. WHY DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG??? I picked up the second one on Monday and I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT! AHHHHHH! Sorry - is my fangirl showing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The names kind of scare me. But I SO want to read this!! Everyone raves about it (actually I should have put Laini Taylor on my list of famous authors I haven't read yet) and looks soooo good. Gah. I'll reserve this from the library right after I whittle my stake of 11 books down a bit. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  8. eheheh i love the names, I think they are totally original and fun but yea.. I think I would break my tongue reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see this being a hard audiobook with the names. When I read it, I just pronounced the names how I wanted in my mind so it wasn't that big of a deal. I did this with the name Hermione. I remember when I heard in the movie I was like WHA?????? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review, I've been meaning to pick this up for a while and I think it just moved up the list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't imagine trying to figure out how to spell some of those names, if I had only heard them! Haha

    I really enjoyed this one, but the sequel? GUT WRENCHING. So so so so soooooo good! Hope you have your kleenex box handy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sounds great! I love a unique read and I love an Angel book :) Your quote your picked was awesome and I am adding this on GR. Great review :)

    Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was a bit frustrated with the super long flashback as well. I feel that the whole book had to pause to do the back story. The second book has a few flashbacks, but they are integrated much better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a thing for the 'bad guy' in books too! This series sounds awesome and I feel bad about not starting it but I will really soon because of your review and how much you liked it. But I feel like once the whole past is found out I'll find it boring as well. And those names are so insane! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the quote :) The names are a bit confusing and I can see how that may be a problem with an audiobook. The premise sounds interesting though :) great review!

    Witless Fool @ Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.