Review of The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown’s gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of rage and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black.
I have been intrigued by the cover of The Coldest Girl in Coldtown for a while, but never picked it up. I finally found the audiobook at my library and thought it was the perfect time for a vampire book. Man was I right. I am in love with this book. I silently begged for it not to end. The audiobook was read by Christine Lakin and was 12 hours, 9 minute long.


  • This has to be one of the best audiobooks I have ever listened to. Christine Lakin was an amazing reader, she had the perfect voice the for the book. They also did musical additions to the story which worked perfectly. Such a pleasure to listen to!
  • I loved the whole concept of this book. Holly Black did an amazing job with this story. There have been millions of vampire stories but this one is unique and fresh, I really want it to be a movie or TV show!
  • Coldtowns were so neat – I could see this happening in real life. Unlike the acceptance in the True Blood series, vampires were forced into guarded towns to live. Humans could choose to live there was well, because we all know the draw of vampirism. They were rough, dangerous but illusive at the same time.
  • I seriously enjoyed Tana. She has to be one of my all-time favorite characters. She was real, strong and weak, realistic but unstable. I would want to be her friend.
  • The open scene of the book catches you and you are on a whirlwind journey, not really knowing where the story is going to go. It kept you on your feet and begging for more.
  • Man, I am a sucker for vampire boys that are good and bad. Gabriel really got to me, I was begging for a romance the whole time. He, like Eric (from True Blood) is that vampire you NEED to stay away from, but fall for at the same time.
  • Midnight and Winter’s characters were so pivotal for me. Learning their real names and then have Coldtown really come to life for them (trying not to spoil) really shows human nature and our insatiable desire to supersede death and get ourselves into unnecessary trouble.
  • There was awesome death quotes in between each chapter.

  • Not a single one. The only thing I wanted was more! Please, please Holly, please write a sequel!
"When Tana was young, in her dreams blood tasted of strawberry soda or sherbert. If you drank too fast you would get brain freeze."

"She might be herself still. But she would be herself hungry. A self she didn't know yet. Herself with the brake lines cut. A self she didn't trust to do anything but kill."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12813630-the-coldest-girl-in-coldtown?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

25 comments

  1. I don't think I've ever come across a Holly Black book review that wasn't all praises and raves =D Definitely intrigued by Coldtown, it's such a unique concept from the run-of-the-mill vampire stories!! *EXCITED*

    WAIT. THIS ISN'T A SERIES?!!!!

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book for a couple of weeks now and haven't even stared reading it... but I'm glad to know that it's a really good book. I don't particularly read vampire stuff but I did an exemption for this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it! It looks really cool. :)

    Ivana @ BookishTeens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to pick this up because vampires stories are kind of my favorite! I'm glad this was so great for you, and now I should look out for a copy on audiobook! I love a well put together audiobook. Great review!

    Charlene @ Bookish Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard fantastic things about this book, and I'm glad to hear you second them - the concept of "coldtowns" is so intriguing! Also, the audiobook sounds great. Musical additions definitely entice me, especially since I've been meaning to try audiobooks for a while. I'm not a big fan of vampire books, but you make a convincing argument for this one. I'm tempted to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're making me want to buy this book and I DON'T HAVE THE DOUGH. The cover looks amazing, and I haven't read a vampire story in a long time (after twilight). I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this book looks great! I'm reading 'Tithe' by Holly Black at the moment and really enjoying it, she's an awesome author! I thoroughly recommend that series, if you haven't already read it :)

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really over vampire books unless the author can make the story/creatures feel fresh and new, and it sounds like that's the case here!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book was AWESOME! My only thing is that I"m not a fan of the "insta-love." But I do love them as a couple and how it ended. SO CUTE AND ROMANTIC IN A WEIRD VAMPIRE WAY OMG

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really read vampire books but if I ever decide to get into them I'll keep this one in mind. It's quite impressive that you didn't have a single gripe! Glad you enjoyed it so much =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also did this one on audio. But unfortunately I did not fall in love with this book like you. But it deserves to be loved. :)

    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you liked this book so much! I got it for Christmas, but with all the books I have I haven't gotten to it yet. Now I'm more excited to read it! I've heard both good and bad things about this book, but I personally think it will be great :)
    Victoria @ Chapters on a Page

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review, I'm hoping to get my hands on this one soon!

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unfortunately, I disliked this book. Gavriel was cool though.
    http://readinggoodbooks.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/review-the-coldest-girl-in-coldtown-by-holly-black/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds really good!! I saw some negative reviews awhile back, so I never checked it out future. Now you really made me want to listen to it too! Hopefully I can find this version in my library too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you liked it! this is one of my favorite its so good the whole setting works - Tana's character, Midnight and Winter, Gabriel, Aiden (in not sure if that was his name), the Coldtowns, the infection... such a good book! :)
    Loved your review!
    Boyanna @The Bookmaidens

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you enjoyed it! I haven't read it yet. I've been debating on reading it for quite sometime but I just never got around to reading it. ):

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you really enjoyed it, I've been eyeing this for a while now! And, yes to Eric from True Blood :D. Main reason I still watch that show!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book ended up being a little average for me, but that's no reflection on Holly Black's writing itself, because I thought her prose was fab. It just tended to drag a bit.

    (Seriously though; how amazing was that first kiss? o.O)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What intrigues me about your review are the Death Quotes, that sounds super interesting! I've heard heaps of great things about this book, that it returns to the dark, scary vampires before Twilight. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I[m excited you liked this one so much, and that the audiobook version was great. I think the musical additions sound really interesting. I don't get to listen to many audiobooks, but this is def one I would like to try.

    Great review.

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely loved this book too and your review just reminded me how much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really, really like how you do your reviews. Sometimes I need a point by point just to lay it all out there.

    And also, this review just makes me want to pick this book up (or open it up on my Kindle, lol) right now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow...not a single gripe?! I NEED THIS. ;) I have it on reserve at the library but it's taking for absolute ever. I don't mind vampire books....I haven't really read very many yet, so I'm not flooded. But this still sounds wickedly fresh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really loved this book too. It was so well done, pretty dark, and just amazing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.