Top Ten Tuesday – Books that will make you cry

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/

Now I have to be honest, I cry too much. I am very sentimental and can easily feel others emotions. I tear up at Cheerios commercials – you know the one, where the kid is talking to his mom about the grandmother who has passed away and then says since Grandma ate Cheerios and they are eating Cheerios, it is like they are eating them with her. Pulls on my heart strings! I have forbid myself to watch Extreme Home Makeover because I would ugly cry during the whole show. NOT GOOD.

On to the real matter at hand, you want to cry, here are some reads:
  1. The Fault in our Stars by John Green – made the mistake of reading this one at the gym, tearing up on an elliptical is not attractive, or normal. I cannot imagine what those around me though.
  2. The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley was amazingly complicated. A wife falls and is brain dead, but before pulling the plug they find out that she is pregnant. The family battles over whether to keep her on life support or pull the plug.
  3. The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick – this book was amazing. It was tearing up for a good reason, both the movie and book were good, but the book was really good.
     
  4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower – teen angst, don’t you love it. Whenever you feel so close to the main character, it is hard not to become emotionally attached.
  5. Blindness by Jose Saramago – This book was intense, crazy and emotionally scarring. I find myself thinking about this book at the most random times. There is a movie too, but I don’t think you get the horribleness as much as when you read it with raw emotion.
  6. Looking for Alaska by John Green – this one was a bit emotional, I don’t remember if I cried or not, but I felt close to Alaska and really collected up her emotion.
  7. Still Alice by Lisa Genova – I read this one in a book club, it wasn’t sometime I would have normally picked up, but the book was amazing. It was about a woman who starts gets early onset Alzheimer’s in her 50s. It was so moving to see what the disease does to you and how sad it is as it takes away your life.
  8. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – I know this sounds odd to be on this list, but Rue’s death kills me every time. The movie was even worse, I could not look at the screen!
  9. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks – I know this one is obvious, but I love this book so much. My copy is well-worn because I have read it so many times. Such a good book
  10. The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks – the characters in Nicholas Sparks books always have tragic sadness in their endings. The book felt a lot like the emotion I went through when my step-dad passed away from cancer. I was not estranged from him, but it brought up the same emotion.

3 comments

  1. Nice list. Looks like we have a couple things in common! I haven't read A Walk to Remember, but I have seen the movie. That made me cry, so I can only imagine what the book would do to me! AH.

    I love your blog design, by the way. New follower! :)
    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Still Alice still haunts me to this day and I read that like 4 years ago. I also really enjoyed the The Silver Linings Playbook movie but I never read the book. I want too, though! Great list! I also secretly love Sparks books! The Last Song is one of my favorites. I also love Dear John and the ending is so much more realistic than the Hollywood movie ending *eyeroll*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. I've seen A Walk to Remember on so many lists, but I only remember crying at the movie - I probably did reading it though but I loved that the ending wasn't the same as the film or it would have destroyed me. I loved Still Alice and The Perks of Being a Wallflower, both were brilliant books. My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.