Review of Landry Park

In a fragmented future United States ruled by the lavish gentry, seventeen-year-old Madeline Landry dreams of going to the university. Unfortunately, gentry decorum and her domineering father won't allow that. Madeline must marry, like a good Landry woman, and run the family estate. But her world is turned upside down when she discovers the devastating consequences her lifestyle is having on those less fortunate. As Madeline begins to question everything she has ever learned, she finds herself increasingly drawn to handsome, beguiling David Dana. Soon, rumors of war and rebellion start to spread, and Madeline finds herself and David at the center of it all. Ultimately, she must make a choice between duty - her family and the estate she loves dearly - and desire.



There was a lot of hype around Landry Park by Bethany Hagen, especially when it was described as Downton Abbey meets The Selection. While I partially saw this description, it was pretty much not at all what the book was like. There was no Selection situation in the book, just debuting with a boy, but whatever.

  • The storyline was original, it was dystopian in genre, but nothing like what I have read before. The world reverted back to the 1900s, the upper class and Rootless. People living in mansions and debuting their daughters, trying to keep their bloodlines pure. The major difference is that they are using nuclear power to run electricity and power their houses
  • Madeline was an interesting main character, she was a smart girl who grew up in the family line that created the nuclear power. She wants to go to college but her father insists that she must stay at Landry Park to manage the estate
  • The romance in the story is actually pretty interesting, Madeline falls for David fairly quickly, but the plot of the story allows for a slow burn, almost no burn, situation
  • The caste system is really interesting with the back story and the fact that the Rootless are pretty much kept alive to bare the devastating effects radiation poisoning
  • Jude, I didn't really understand why he needed to be in the story. It just felt so disconnected. I am sure there needed to be some odd love triangle situation but I didn't need Jude.
  • The writing sometimes was disconnected and odd. I couldn't figure out why the odd jumps, it was like the typical methods of separating chapters or scene changed were missed in the final production.
  • The book definitely leads up to the second book in the series, so we don't get a lot of closer. I am trying to write this without any spoilers, but I just wish the way the Rootless leader came to be would have been different. The uprising would have been more like a revolution, at least I believe, without the leader being who he is.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13479780-landry-park




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

20 comments

  1. ha another book where they throw in a love triangle just because? That annoys me so much! I'm happy that despite your few issues with it you enjoyed this one quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a fascinating, unique story. That's a shame that the writing seemed disconnected / odd at certain moments. At least it sounds like an enjoyable book, overall!

    Nice review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has been around everyone, and everyone seems to be reading it right now! I'll have to pick up a copy for myself to see what everyone is raving about. But I know what you mean when you say the writing is disconnected. It's just hard to follow sometimes, and doesn't really show how scenarios change, which completely throws off the reader. Thanks for your honest review!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking forward to this one, and it's good to know that it has some good points. I can handle random characters, but I'm glad to know that it's worth a read even if there is some disjointed writing. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dystopian genre has never really appealed to me, but this sounds really interesting. Disconnected writing and chapters is something that irritates me with books too, but I might give this a go.

    P.S. I've nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! Info is here if you want to participate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this one recently and also didn't get the Downton/Selection references. I liked it, but not as much as I'd hope I would. Lovely review, Missie! :)

    Sabrina @ I Heart Y.A. Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds interesting, but I do hate when books advertise to be one thing and they are another thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep thinking the author's name is Laundry Park! Duh to me!! XD This one hasn't really been on my radar. Mm, maybe I should look into it more? I'm always so annoyed when useless/needless characters hang around! What's with that?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds really interesting. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not completely sold on this book yet :/ It sounded interesting at first but I hate the whole going back to the past when a book is set in the future.
    Also love triangles and I are mortal enemies so I think I'll be skipping this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd never heard of this before. I'll have to check it out!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not understand Jude either. That was random, not needed and if he was there for the love triangle that would kill the book for me since I prefer if authors stayed away from them. The writing was odd at times, but I did like the story enough to over come that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would up actually saying "URGH" out loud when I read the love triangle part. Seems like it's going to probably appear in the third book and be pretty random. That's what's serouisly turned me off in all honesty. :(
    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Comparing it to Downton Abbey and a dystopian? Consider it on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been really curious about this one, but now I'm REALLY looking forward to it! As much as I loved The Selection, I was a bit hesitant when I heard this had been compared to it, but I'm glad it's nothing like it.
    Ooh, the world definitely sounds unique and intriguing. Urgh. What's the need for random guys? I don't see why there can't just be a straight forward romance and no introduction of a second or third guy just to mix it up. Hopefully it won't turn into a love triangle in book 2!
    I think I'm definitely going to have to get myself a copy of this now after reading your review.
    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh, I hate when a love triangle is thrown in just because. :/ But I do like the sounds of the book and hope to read it someday. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh I hate when a book is concluded without resolution! I'm a firm believer that a book needs to be able to stand on its own (for the most part) - I love when it sets up a sequel, but I want the main plot issue to be resolved. And a random love triangle is never fun. Looks like you still enjoyed this one though, despite your issues :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the way you write your book reviews Missie! I'm glad that you enjoyed this book overall. I love when dystopians, or any popular genre for that matter, offer something unique. I have when a love triangle is added, and it is not necessary. It's difficult to enjoy a story when I feel a disconnect with characters. At least it was only one character that you felt that way about! Great Review! (New Follower)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh- I hate love triangles! Whyyyyyyyyyy are they always around?!?! Anywho... I think I wanna read this one.
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree^^ love triangles are a pain in the butt, but sometimes necessary I guess. Thank for the review. I've been meaning to read this but haven't got round to it yet. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Happy Reading! xD

    Ashton @ Morphys Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.