Eleanor & Park - A Perfect V-day Read


Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.












 
I didn’t really intend to have a romance for Valentine’s Day, but in perfect timing I finished Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. I do not love romance books, hate kissing covers and anything “Harlequin or erotica” labeled, but I loved Eleanor & Park immensely.

  • Eleanor, I loved Eleanor. She was so smart, strong and broken at the same time. I felt like I could relate a bit to her. I don’t have a perfect body and my own red hair gets me some unwanted attention sometimes. I loved that she dressed the way she felt and loved so deeply. She has such a rough life but she is determined to live above it.
  • Park was so perfect for the story, he was middle of the road perfect. I know that sounds odd to say, but he fit the book so well.
  • They were both so nerdy and I can so relate to that. The whole relationship really started with comic books and I loved their discussions about superheroes.
  • The wit of Rainbow Rowell. This woman is an epic writer, I was laughing, tearing up and completely speechless at the end of the book. I cannot wait to read all her other novels and devour them!
  • The audiobook was done so well. I loved both the male and female readers and listened to it almost constantly for two days because I didn’t want to stop.
  • Park’s mom was my favorite side character, she was so sweet but tough, generous and judgmental. It is an odd description but totally fits. I loved her in the book.
  • I wanted more, lol, not really a gripe, more like hopeful thinking, but I wanted a happier ending or an epilouge with a happily ever after. I guess we are left to make our own decisions and imagine an outcome, but I didn’t want the book to end.


http://busyteacher.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/eleanor-and-park.jpg
http://livehappycreations.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/eleanor-park-1.jpg 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15745753-eleanor-park?from_search=true







https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

12 comments

  1. I just read Fangirl and while I didn't love it, I do want to check out some more Rainbow Rowell. I've been told that this one might be more to my taste, so I'll check it out soon. It sounds very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to read this one. It's been on my TBR for a while now and I see a lot of people enjoy the story. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick, have a great weekend and enjoy your books! New follower and thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read this one! I've read Fangirl and Rainbow Rowell's new book, which comes out this summer (it's called LANDLINE and it is SO good!!), but I've been putting this one off because I know I'll love it and I want to read it when I can give it my full, undivided attention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally wanna meet Eleanor and Park now - thanks for sharing that you had an enjoyable time listening to the audio version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to read this! I picked up a copy right after Christmas with a gift card I got. I love the gif you chose to go with your review! I love that they have nerdiness - I can relate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainbow Rowell is a quite a big name in the YA contemporary sphere and from what I heard, it definitely makes for a great Valentine's Day read! Love Eleanor's curly red hair on the cover, can't wait to get to know her in the story =)

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this book when I read it last spring! Although I'll admit I like her other one Fangirl even more. Yay for Rainwbow Rowell! She's so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elenor seems like a really interesting person, strong yet broken. Ans I love that she is relatable. That is the most important thing for me.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, im a new follower of yours :)

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't love that I had to guess the ending of this book. I wish it would've been tied up in a bow and I could've known what ends up happening to Eleanor and park in the future. I imagine a happy ending of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know you've found a great book when it leaves you wanting more. I've got this one sitting on my bookshelf, and it sounds like I need to read it ASAP (although now I'm tempted to check out the audiobook version, since you say it was so well done)!

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect is the best way to describe Park, you are right! I just adored him. And I agree with your gripe. I wanted a bit more at the end. I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.