Cruel Beauty - A Beauty and The Beast Re-telling

Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle-a shifting maze of magical rooms-enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.
 I really enjoyed Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. This story was beautifully written and really entertaining.

  • I really liked the main character Nyx. She was smart, strong and stayed true to herself during the entire story.
  • Shade and Ignifex were so interesting and the character development is amazing, the story line works so well
  • As much as you can see the resemblance to Beauty and the Beast, the story really holds its own. I think that it would have done just as well if it was not described as a  fairy tale retelling
  • Weaving in Greek mythology was so neat and just an unique twist to the old story
  • Characters you love and characters you hate, I always think that books need a mix of characters that create different emotional connections to get you more involved in the story

  • Really the only gripe I had is that, per my own lack of knowledge, I don't know enough about Greek mythology and sometimes I was really confused
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15839984-cruel-beauty?from_search=true





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

7 comments

  1. I enjoyed this one, but found it a little hard to get into at first. Still a really good book though!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really confused at times when it came to greek myth as well and unfortunately it affected my overall enjoyment of the book. I also didn't love the MC as much as you but I did find Shade and Ignifex incredibly interesting! And yes the writing was my fav part, so was the world building in general!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard the Greek mythology part overtakes the fairy tale part, which is cool and unique, but I'm such a sucker for fairy tales. :) I REALLY want to read this one. It doesn't come out in Australia for aaaages yet, though. DANG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I hated Shade with the intensity of a thousand burning suns and had a huge crush on Ignifex. :P

    Yes I am weird.

    I think my biggest gripe with this story was the ending. The ending just didn't line up in my opinion. I wanted an HEA, but not in the way it was delivered.

    The writing and world building were absolutely gorgeous though and Nyx was a wonderful female lead.

    Great Review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard amazing things of this one . I love how fairy tales aspects and Greek mythology are mixed together .i can't wait. Tnx 4 the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, glad to see you enjoyed this one. I just got this one myself, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I really love the cover, and I'm really excited about the Greek Mythology/Fairy Tale mix that you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fairy tales, and I can't wait to read this book! I keep seeing reviews for it, and they just keep making me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.