Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.I really enjoyed Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. This story was beautifully written and really entertaining.
Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.
With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.
But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle-a shifting maze of magical rooms-enthralls her.
As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.
- I really liked the main character Nyx. She was smart, strong and stayed true to herself during the entire story.
- Shade and Ignifex were so interesting and the character development is amazing, the story line works so well
- As much as you can see the resemblance to Beauty and the Beast, the story really holds its own. I think that it would have done just as well if it was not described as a fairy tale retelling
- Weaving in Greek mythology was so neat and just an unique twist to the old story
- Characters you love and characters you hate, I always think that books need a mix of characters that create different emotional connections to get you more involved in the story
- Really the only gripe I had is that, per my own lack of knowledge, I don't know enough about Greek mythology and sometimes I was really confused