Book Review - Scintillate

A mighty flame follows a tiny spark.

Cora Sandoval’s mother disappeared when she was five and they were living in Ireland. Since then, her dad has been more than overprotective, and Cora is beginning to chafe under his confines. But even more troubling is the colorful light she suddenly sees around people. Everyone, that is, except herself—instead, she glows a brilliant, sparkling silver.

As she realizes the danger associated with these strange auras, Cora is inexplicably drawn to Finn, a gorgeous Irish exchange student who makes her feel safe. Their attraction is instant, magnetic, and primal—but her father disapproves, and Finn’s mother orders him home to Ireland upon hearing he’s fallen in love. After a fight with her father, Cora flees to Ireland, both to follow Finn and to look for her missing mother.

There she meets another silver-haloed person and discovers the meaning of her new found powers and their role in a conspiracy spanning centuries—one that could change mankind forever…and end her life.

Scintillate is the first book in this lush and exciting new trilogy, full of romance, adventure and metaphysical mystery

I was really excited to read Scintillate by Tracy Clark, I even picked it for a Waiting on Wednesday a couple weeks ago.  It was a quick, easy read but left me wanting sometime more meaty.


  • The storyline was interesting, the auras and energies were unique and an original for a storyline.
  • The main character, Cora, and her family were interesting and likeable.
  • Ireland, I have always wanted to go to Ireland so it was fun to read about a place I want to travel, like living through the book.

  • Insta-love, argh. I understand by the end of the story why it happened, I just wish it would have been portrayed differently.
  • World building was lacking, I really was so excited about Ireland, but it just felt like the detail of the green countryside and ancient buildings, ect were lacking
  • The meat of the story, the part I was really excited for didn't develop until the last 150 pages. I really wish I could have cut out most of the first part. I know this is going to be a trilogy and there is more to come, but it was a slow lead up.  
I swiped at a tear snaking down my face, and a new determination etched into my soul. “We don’t have a home,” I said. “Until this is over, there is no home for us. There is no home for the hunted.”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18050015-scintillate?from_search=true





https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

12 comments

  1. OOoohhhh! I wouldn't mind checking this one out! Set in Ireland, oh yea!!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review! Funny tidbit: your favorite line was originally the final line in the book. Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to have to snag a copy of this one!

    And I love the layout of your reviews! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The setting of Ireland sounds really cool, especially since I've also always wanted to go there! I'm not a fan of insta-love, but I think I still may give this one a try, since I'm intrigued by the storyline. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, insta-love! It's hard to portray insta-love positively. Too bad the world building was lacking, especially since it's set in such an intriguing place like Ireland.

    Thanks for your honest thoughts! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting book. I love the quote. And I agree "insta-love" can grate at the nerves a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this book on my TBR list and I super excited to read it. I love Ireland so that backdrop for the story should be perfect for me.

    I know what you mean about insta love. I hate it too and the hardest part for me is the situation in which I understand why the author put the insta love in (an unexplainable connection that later gets explained, or a bond that has to do with some secret plot, etc.) but most of the time I still wish it was handled better or differently.)

    Great review. I hope I get to read this one soon.

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love stories set in Ireland, and this one sounds pretty interesting. But I do try to stay away from insta love, it rarely works out very well. Love the cover, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is on my list to read. I love the cover and the synopsis sounds really good. I love your thoughts on it. I am a little more partial to books that are not too long but leave you want more in a good way. Thanks for making me want this book even more! I'm a new follower! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this one going around a little bit...I confess, fantasy isn't my strong point but I DO love the cover. It reminds me of Incaceron by Catherine Fisher. Slow beginnings are NOT a fav though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds interesting. I might still pick it up. I enjoy reading about Ireland (haven't been there myself either so yes, totally understand your living vicariously through books). I'm getting a lot of trilogies that are a bit slow in the built-up because they've spread the plot over three books. Not a big fan of this seemingly recent trend...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like more gripes then likes. The insta-love makes me wanna...vomit? lol I really been trying to stay away from those, which is a shame cause I did like the sound of the plot.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.