Book Review of Shadow and Bone




The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.
 
I have been quite liberal with my five-star ratings in the last week, but I cannot help it when I have loved each of the books I have read! Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo was highly recommended by fellow bloggers and they were SO right. I cannot believe that I hadn’t heard of this series before, I should have read it three times over by now!


The storyline was so unique and original. I was a bit confused at the beginning but then was enveloped into the story. I read this in two nights, I was so into it I wanted to read over watching the Olympics
I really like Alina, she was written so well that I wanted to be friends with her
I loved the slow burn relationship in the story, friends becoming more, it was really well done
The twists and turns were good, I didn’t see them coming
I am so excited for the series, I already requested the second book at the library, so hopefully I will get that soon


The only gripe I had, a really I think the reason for the confusion at the beginning, was there are so many odd words I had a really hard time keeping everything straight. I still can’t tell you exactly what all the Grisha’s powers are, hopefully by the second book I can get it all down
 

“The moment our lips met I knew with pure and piercing certainty that I would have waited for him forever.”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10194157-shadow-and-bone?from_search=true




https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings





On a side note - Karolina from Karolina's Bookshelf Reflections interviewed me for her blog post today! Stop over and check it out!
http://karolinasbookshelf.blogspot.com/2014/02/missie-from-flurry-of-ponderings.html

30 comments

  1. I absolutely loved this book, and I have to say that I think the series just gets better and better. I sure hope that you continue on! Great review, Missie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woooo Hooooo! I'm happy to see that you gave this a 5 Star review because I just started reading it :) Your absolutely right about the beginning being a bit confusing. I just got out of the "confusing" part and now I'm absorbed in the story, completely intrigued by it all! I am loving it!!
    Great Review Love ♥ BookHangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! So glad to see that you enjoyed this one! I actually have yet to read it.... even though I own it. I guess I'm kind of afraid of the mass amount of hype its been getting. Great review though! I love your review set up too!
    Thanks for stopping by my WoW the other day!
    Love your blog and new follower! :-)
    Cal @ Read Books and Live Green

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book . Happy u did too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you finally read it! And you loved it! They just get better and better, I can't wait to see your thought son the rest of them. They are amazing!

    And on another note, it always seems like the 5 star reviews lump together. I can have a few in one week and then go like a month or more without one. It's weird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I cant wait to read the book now! I love your review style as well. So glad you enjoyed this book hon! :)
    Paulina @ Tangled In Pages

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this one too which surprised me since I don't really like fantasy much - mostly bc I get overwhelmed with the complexity of the new world and the number of characters there usually is. I do remember being confused at first, like you, but you do get the hang of it after a while. I also loved the slow moving romance! I have been skipping the Olympics for reading this week too >.<

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of those books that sounds totally up my alley, and one that I need to read soon. :) I like those slow burn relationships too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the quote!! I haven't read this but I plan on doing it soon. Hope you'll enjoy the second book as much as this one. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been thinking about reading this one. I should pick it up soon as there have been so many great reviews! I love it when I want to be friends with a character. It makes the connection so much better and makes me want to read it all the more. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice review. I like the quote that you pick. I haven't read this one. At some point I will read it. Its nice to see what other people like to read.

    Grace
    Books of Love
    http://gracebooksoflove.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I need to read this series. I got book 2 and then realized I have not yet got book 1 oops.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhhhhhhh, I've heard a lot of people say the beginning to this was confusing! I'm still excited to read it :D It's still waiting on my shelf sadly. ): Awesome review :DD

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a very good read! I'll have to give it a try! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really loved SHADOW & BONE when I read it too, but I STILL haven't read the second book! My book club read this a couple months ago though and they all loved it too!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read this book yet but people have been raving about it! Great review! :)

    -Kimi at Geeky Chiquitas

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, I actually posted my review for Shadow and Bone yesterday as well :P How random! I LOVED this one too!! SOOO good. I loved Alina as well, she is one of the best female protagonists I've read in awhile :) I've just started Siege and Storm but I'm taking it slow... Ruin and Rising is still a bit away !! Have you read the novella's? They are both very, very good and free online to read! (Tor.com) :) Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with you...the beginning was definitely a bit confusing. I couldn't really visualise the Fold. At all. Not even now. That bothers me! But I'm sure it's mostly my fault instead of the author's. I really liked the characters though. Darkling was incredibly well written...Mal was a real sweetheart too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice review! I was so interested to hear your thoughts on this one because I am desperate to read it myself! Also: I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award!

    Check out this link if you want to participate:
    http://chasedbymyimagination.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy you enjoyed this book!! I'm purposely waiting to read Siege & Storm closer to Ruin & Rising release date. I hear the ending is Siege & Storm is a cliffhanger :D. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This series looks so good! I bought the books a while back but havent had a chance to read them yet.

    I have noticed that books that have a completely new and unique world normally take a little bit of getting used to, espically with all of the new terms. Thats a good point you made.

    Also thanks for showing me a new blog! I checked out your interview and in return found another law school book blogger :)

    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed this one! I'm hoping to read this series soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed this book too much that I couldn't even bring myself to finish it lol. I'll pick it up again once the third book is out so I won't have to wait. And yeah I couldn't remember all the different types of Grisha powers too. I wish Leigh made them more distinct.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just wait until you start Siege and Storm - it's amazing!!!

    Great review! Glad you enjoyed this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've heard such good things about this series -- I think I may give it a try after all the books have been published so I don't have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This isn't my typical type of read but I remember when I read it finally last summer I wondered what took me so long too! Such a great series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I remember being really confused at the beginning of this one too, and I think it had to do with all of the new territory and landmarks and I didn't have a map to reference! Fortunately when I read Siege and Storm (which you will LOVE), it had a map included :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't believe the third book doesn't come out till June right??? AYE!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.