Book Review of The Madman's Daughter

In the darkest places, even love is deadly.

Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.

Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.

Inspired by H. G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Madman's Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we'll do anything to know and the truths we'll go to any lengths to protect.


The Madman’s Daughter by Megan Shepard was a crazy journey. Creepy! I listened to the audiobook which was 12 hours, 53 minutes long, narrated by Lucy Rayner.


  • The story was so original, I had no idea where it was going to go and was immensely in love with it from the beginning when Juliette was cleaning the blood of the operating room floor
  • I love the time period, the age of petticoats and corsets.
  • The love triangle, normally I HATE love triangles, but when this one comes to light it was epic. The whole climax was unnerving!
  • Montgomery, oh Montgomery. I loved every little bit of Montgomery!
  • The side characters, Alice and Balthazar and other beastly characters were so well created and imagined!
  • The world building was neat, the time in London, to the ship, to the island. It was really easy to picture the towns and their inhabitants.
  • I am intrigued to start the second book in the series, Her Dark Curiosity, soon!


  • This is just a silly gripe, but it was really hard to figure out how the characters could look like the descriptions knowing they were made of animals. I was hung up on the whole “where did the skin come from” situation!
 
“I realized that he had charmed me, just like he charmed everyone. I’d thought I was so clever. I thought I could see past his manipulations. But I’d heard only what I wanted to.” (Juliette speaking of her father, the Doctor)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12291438-the-madman-s-daughter?from_search=true



https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11458773/a-flurry-of-ponderings

15 comments

  1. I love you gripe! I haven't read this book, but I HATE when that happens! Or you send 100 pages imagining someone looking a certain way and the author will through in a phrase like "she pulled her brunette locks into a ponytail"... and I'm sitting there like "WHAT?! My brain thinks she blonde with a pixie cut!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book (and series) has gotten a lot of mixed reviews, so I am happy to see that you enjoyed it. The premise really intrigues me, so I want to read this series, so I seek out positive reviews of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost wish I hadn't read the original story beforehand, because I couldn't see past the nit-picky stuff - all the changes she made to the original (thought she did make Montgomery likable; that was a change I was perfectly happy with).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen some pretty mixed reviews for this one, but I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it. The premise is certainly interesting. It always reminds me of The Island of Dr. Moreau. I may have to give this a try sometime...and I totally love that cover. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen good reviews on this book so far, and have to say it sounds really interesting. I haven't read the book, though I know I saw the Val Kilmer movie version at one point, which was ridiculous. I think this book can only go up from that! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been really curious about this book and I've seen some mixed reviews. But I think I'm going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I absolutely need this! I've only heard good things about it. And let's face it, the creep factor is HUGE awesome. I love that setting too. Is it kind of like Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard? Because I surprised myself completely with how much I loved that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this too! I need to read the second book soon. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been planing to read this one for a while but this year it's a must. I put it on my challenge so there is no running from it. I usually have love triangles too, but I'm so glad it works here. Great review, Missie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Madman's Daughter sounds so interesting! I didn't realize that it was inspired by another work, and now I'm wondering which one I should read first, haha. I'm also not a fan of love triangles, so now I'm curious as to what really happens. Looking forward to reading this... thanks for the review, Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this book sitting right here!! I have to read one book before getting started on it. I can't wait. It was my bookclub's pick this month if you want to stop by and chat about it.

    https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/213183?group_id=3551

    ReplyDelete
  12. I 've had my eye on this one for a while. It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book was great! I loved the time period and characters too. The sequel is very good, too!

    Fabulous review :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought that this one was good, but I couldn't really get excited about reading the second book - I kind of would have preferred the ending to this one if it was the actual ending (but I know I'm probably the only one). I'll have to check out your review when you read the next book.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  15. This has me so excited to read this!! I have it sitting here right now and I really need to get it started!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.