Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Things on my Reading Wish List


January 21: Top Ten Things On My Reading Wish list (if you could make authors write about these things you would. Could be a specific type of character, an issue tackled, a time period, a certain plot, etc.)
Wow, this is the hardest Top Ten Tuesday yet! It is hard because there are so many possibilities. Since I aspire to be a writer myself, I guess I could give ideas of what I am thinking about writing and what I have learned from reading all the time.



  1. Witty MC – I love when main characters are smart, funny and “snappy.” I loved Sophronia in Etiquette & Espionage, she was smart and I love the way her mind worked.
  2. Well-developed secondary characters. I really enjoyed The Reckoners in Steelheart, they were really well developed. Cody and his hilarious accents and sayings, Tia and her love for soda. When you can connect well with both the MC and secondary characters it really helps you feel involved in the book.
  3. Brand new worlds – I really enjoy books that transport you into a new place. Harry Potter did an amazing job creating the wizarding world, Etiquette did an awesome job with the Finishing School on a floating boat, Steelheart and the steel city. When the authors can transport you and make you visual how the new world looks, it really helps you break away from reality and become part of the book
  4. The past – I read so many post-apocalypse books, I think it would be fun to do the same dystopian genre but from the past. I love old time period, the Renaissance, the Roaring 20s, the old west. It would be really neat to see a dystopian book in past historical time.
  5. Dystopian literature is normally a period of time after the fall of society, I think it would be interesting to write during the middle of the fall, to hear how it all happened, the characters and activities involved in the fall. It would be really interesting to have Dan Wells write a prequel to The Partials series.
  6. This one is really specific, but I would love Marie Lu to write a whole story line with the Ross City from Champion. It was an amazing town that she created, the citizens were “scored” on how well they acted, helped each other, worked, ect. It was such a neat place and I think that it would make an awesome place to start a new story.
  7. As much as I love dystopian work, I think an uprising in the utopian genre would be cool. I read somewhere that a lot of the books we read are very dark and don’t always have happy endings anymore. I think it would be interesting to look at a society working toward utopia.
  8. I love Harry Potter so much I think it would be awesome to have more books about a magical world like Hogwarts. It would be fun to see other other’s ideas on how a magical world would work, other than just witches in mortal worlds.
  9. I have always love re-tellings and there have been some great ones, like the Lunar Series. I would like to see some biblical retellings, like Esther or Joseph in modern day.
  10. More collaborations. In the music industry so many neat songs have been produced by two artists from different genres coming together. I think books could be like that. How about Marissa Meyer’s sci fi fairy tale re-tellings with Gail Carriger’s wit? I think we could see a whole new style of work combining the talents of two authors.

20 comments

  1. These are epic things! I WANT TO READ THEM ALL. Seriously, yesss. Particularly to witty characters, awesome secondary characters and more collaborations! I think, if books are written about the beginning of a dystopian society, they're more like apocalyptic. But I definitely don't see as many apocalyptic books as I see dystopians. I'm with you on the utopians. And I think some fantastical kick-butt renditions of Esther or Joseph would be beyond awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks lady! I am gathering up some good in-tell from all the TTT posts for NaNoWriMo 2014!

      Delete
  2. Great list! I pretty much concur with all of your reading wishes. I think a Dystopian novel set in the past could be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list! Secondary characters! YES!!! I love well developed secondary characters. A concept about working towards a utopian society is really cool too! Another cool magic world like Harry Potter is the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. It's slightly MG, but really manifests and the series continues. I highly recommend it!

    ~Remy @ Books In Her Head

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to add Septimus Heap to my TBR list, thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  4. Collaborations of my favorite authors?? YES PLEASE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Witty characters, middle of the fall books, and Biblical retellings would capture my attention, too. Thanks for visiting The Book Connection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Witty MCs of any kind make the book world go round!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great list. I have only read Biblical fiction set in Biblical times. The idea of retelling Biblical stories in modern day is fabulous to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, more witty MCs! I love those kind. And I'd be all over Biblical retellings, that would be refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of great and really creative ideas! One book that came to mind which may fit #5 is The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker which I read last year and loved. If you haven't read it already it's worth checking out! This is my review of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I will add it to my list!

      Delete
  10. I would love to see more 2 author collab books!! Like Siobhan Vivian and Jenny Han!! Fabulous pairing! As for HP I would love a prequel featuring ANY of the characters.... can we force JK to write more??? I wish. Also I love uniquely witty MC's and get so excited when I start reading a book and there is one in it!! I really like your list :)

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your list is really interesting! Another book by Marie Lu about the Ross City would be amazing, it was such a unique place. I would also love more new worlds, I love reading and imagining all these places in my head. Really like your collaboration idea as well, that is a great one! As is your idea of modern biblical stories, I would definitely read something like that. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great List!!! I hadn't actually thought of a dystopian novel during the fall. I was thinking about a dystopian novel that wasn't so black and white.. but your idea is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! I fully support you on secondary characters, so often they are just background to the story and I really love when they are well-developed and interesting! Thanks for stopping by my TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea of a pre-apocalyptic story, too. It would be interested to see the world crumbling and see how people prepare (or don't prepare) for a coming disaster.

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. A historical dystopian - now that's an interesting concept!! And I agree that I would love to see Biblical retellings.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I loved your list so much that I decided I needed to follow your blog! :-)

      Delete
  16. I like your idea of a dystopian society set in the past. That would be really interesting to read about. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my TTT post earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.