This is Where I Leave You

The death of Judd Foxman’s father marks the first time that the entire Foxman family—including Judd’s mother, brothers, and sister—have been together in years. Conspicuously absent: Judd’s wife, Jen, whose fourteen-month affair with Judd’s radio-shock-jock boss has recently become painfully public.

Simultaneously mourning the death of his father and the demise of his marriage, Judd joins the rest of the Foxmans as they reluctantly submit to their patriarch’s dying request: to spend the seven days following the funeral together. In the same house. Like a family.

As the week quickly spins out of control, longstanding grudges resurface, secrets are revealed, and old passions reawakened. For Judd, it’s a weeklong attempt to make sense of the mess his life has become while trying in vain not to get sucked into the regressive battles of his madly dysfunctional family. All of which would be hard enough without the bomb Jen dropped the day Judd’s father died: She’s pregnant.
This Is Where I Leave You is Jonathan Tropper's most accomplished work to date, a riotously funny, emotionally raw novel about love, marriage, divorce, family, and the ties that bind—whether we like it or not.

This was the book we picked for book club in February. We meet once a month a read a variety of books, so it helps me get out of the typical young adult book shell I am normally reading. This book was odd, sad, funny and unique. I definitely think I enjoyed reading it because I was in the right mood.

My step-father passed away a few years ago, and although we are not Jewish, I feel like there is a Shiva period after any major death. My family loves each other and has only minimal drama, but some of the feelings and actions during this book felt familiar.

One of my book club friends who has also finished to book said that she did not even understand why it was a story and the ending, but I feel like I got it. It was a time for a change, for rediscovery and for remembering what is important, even if it is your crazy family.

I do have to warn you that there was quite a bit of cursing and sexual content. 

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6224935-this-is-where-i-leave-you?from_search=true

2 comments

  1. I've seen this one around but I didn't know what it was about! That's good you were in the right frame of mind to enjoy it. It sounds odd, but good in a different sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is new to me but it sounds really unique and emotional but also an important one. I don't mind confusing reads I find they make my mind work and question everything they can be very fun to read (psychological thrillers are my fav for this reason), but good to know in advance, though! I also like how a story really resonates with something personal that I have gone through. I imagine this was like this for you with the Shiva period. Great review, Missie!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.