The Winter People

West Hall, Vermont, has always been a town of strange disappearances and old legends. The most mysterious is that of Sara Harrison Shea, who, in 1908, was found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter, Gertie. Now, in present day, nineteen-year-old Ruthie lives in Sara's farmhouse with her mother, Alice, and her younger sister, Fawn. Alice has always insisted that they live off the grid, a decision that suddenly proves perilous when Ruthie wakes up one morning to find that Alice has vanished without a trace. Searching for clues, she is startled to find a copy of Sara Harrison Shea's diary hidden beneath the floorboards of her mother's bedroom. As Ruthie gets sucked deeper into the mystery of Sara's fate, she discovers that she's not the only person who's desperately looking for someone that they've lost. But she may be the only one who can stop history from repeating itself. (Goodreads)



This book was really interesting, probably one of the most intriguing stories I have read in a while. I did struggle a bit at the beginning to get into the story, the book starts as a journal and then jumps around between Sara and four other main characters. Once I got into the bread and butter of the story, I was sucked in. The ghost story was interesting and compelling. West Hall is a small town with a crazy secret that people are both risking their lives to hide and others are risking everything to make a fortune off the clues in Sara's diary.

My favorite character is Fawn, Ruthie's younger sister. She is very smart, but yet sensitive and tuned into the world around her. She is withdrawn from other kids, but she has an active imagination and whispers to her doll throughout the story.

The story really gave to light to depth of grief that humans feel when they lose someone they love and how far they would go to bring that person back to life. Really interesting read.

The book will publish February 11, 2014.

Add to Goodreads

6 comments

  1. Sounds very intriguing! I struggle with multiple narrators in a book. I find it hard to get attached when there's so many people to remember! But journal or letter books I looove. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, books in journal form are so intimate!

      Delete
  2. well that story is intriguing... and I like books with multiple narrators... guess I gotta make sure to get this one once it comes out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand how you feel! No matter how big your TBR list is, you cannot pass up something that sounds good!

      Delete
  3. Jennifer McMahon's books creep me out, every single one of them! This one's not as disturbing as some of her others, but it's just as mysterious and freaky. I liked the back-and-forth between the now and the past -- it gave the story another layer of mystery and suspense. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really loved this book! Planning to post my review on the release date :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.