Fire & Flood

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?
The really wanted to like Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott. The premise of Brimestone Bleed was really neat and the concept of the book was cool but it just really fell short for me. I do want to know more, but I am not sure I want to muddle through more of the series.


  • I loved the Brimestone Bleed concept and the aspects of the race
  • Side characters were unique and appealing
  • The Pandoras were really neat and their traits were very interesting
  • The cryptic secrecy of the race and the history of the race
  • The writing itself was not bad and it was a quick easy read

  • I hated the main character, Tella. She was snotty and stuck up. It seemed out of character that she was doing this race to save her brother when she is so self-involved. I think Kira from Partials attributes would have really made this book amazing.
  • The POV drove me insane. Since Tella was so self-involved the book was “I” “I” “I”
  • The world building was severely lacking, the story was thrown at you so quickly and then barely created by the end of the book
  • The story was way to detailed in some spots, but absent in places that needed more detail. I think the story should have been flushed out more when Tella found the device, but it quickly moved from her parents whispering to her running away from home and then no one knowing what is going on.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16069167-fire-flood?from_search=true

9 comments

  1. Aw, really?? I'm SO looking forward to this one...I'm a bit nervous about the MC now, because (in all honest) stuck-up main characters make books such a drag. *sigh* But that's SO cool you've read it. I can't wait until it releases. Do you think it's too much like The Hunger Games? I read a review that compared them. I'm a HUGE fan of THG and not a fan of take-offs. What do you reckon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think that it was different enough from Hunger Games that I wouldn't call it a take-off. The only things are the contest and the girl trying to save a sibling. I really do wish I liked this one more, maybe the author will read more reviews before starting the next book in the series

      Delete
  2. That's pretty much what I've been hearing.
    Most of my friends have NOT enjoyed this so I am going to be skipping it too..
    Bad MCs really do take the life out of a story...


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! the story and the writing can be amazing, but if i cant relate to the MC...

      Delete
  3. weird, i keep finding bad reviews for this one. Pity i so do loved her "collector" series. You should try that one instead, its funny if noting else..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will add that one to my TBR, I didn't mind her writing at all, so I will check that out

      Delete
  4. Noooo, and I was REALLY excited for this one! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, honest opinions are always appreciated:) Welp, we'll see how I do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate bad main characters but I think I´m gonna try this one anyway.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your review theme with "likes" and "gripes"! It's so unique and interesting :D And I totally agree with you on the majority of these points. I just finished this book last night, and I'm still deciding on my final thoughts regarding this book.

    I liked the Brimestone Bleed and how it happened with the legs and time and stuff. While I didn't like the main characters as much, I did think the Pandoras were amazing. They were like Pokemon but cooler xD

    Yeah, Tella was...interesting, to say the least. It was hard to read from her perspective, but as the story went along, I learned to just ignore the way she acted.

    Great review! :D

    Tori @ YA Book Queens

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.