Endless is "out of time"

Jenny Kramer knows she isn't normal. After all, not everybody can see the past lives of people around them.
When she befriends Ben Daulton, resident new boy, the pair stumble on an old music box with instructions for “mesmerization” and discover they may have more in common than they thought. Like a past life.Using the instructions in the music box, Ben and Jenny share a dream that transports them to Romanov Russia and leads them to believe they have been there together before. But they weren't alone. Nikolai, the mysterious young man Jenny has been seeing in her own dreams was there, too. When Nikolai appears next door, Jenny is forced to acknowledge that he has traveled through time and space to find her. Doing so means he has defied the laws of time, and the Order, an ominous organization tasked with keeping people in the correct time, is determined to send him back. 
While Ben, Jenny and Nikolai race against the clock - and the Order - Jenny and Nikolai discover a link that joins them in life - and beyond death

I finished Endless by Amanda Gray quickly. It was an interesting read, much different than my normal choices. I liked the main character, Jenny. She was unique, kind and possessed an interesting ability.
There were so big things I feel were not necessary for the story or should have been flushed out more. First off, I really don’t think that the character of Ben and the music box they found in the attic were at all necessary to the story. I think that Jenny could have figure out about her past through the Ouija board in the beginning of the story and her dreams. It seemed like Ben and Carol never really fit into the story and it was an odd side story just to add length to the book.
I also really though that Jenny’s ability should have been flushed out more. It was mentioned a few times that she covered her hands to avoid touching people, but there was really only that one little snip bit about Jenny touching a child and seeing the past. It was interesting and I think the author really could have gone father with it.
I also thought it was silly that Jenny accepted what Nikolai told her, she didn't take time to think it over or actually get to know Nikolai. She had only seen him in her dreams a few times, it is not like she knew him. Sorry if this is cryptic, I am trying not to spoil anything.
I did enjoy Amanda’s writing style and almost think this book would have made a better series than a stand-alone. She had an interesting story, but rush parts of it to finish in one book. It think that it would have been interesting to learn more about The Order and “being out of time.”

2 comments

  1. I've been seeing this book around and was wondering if it was any good. It sounds like a pretty decent read but nothing to write home about. Great review, Missie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have this ARC from NetGalley and I need to actually read it... I'm a slacker. :/
    Cait @ Book Love

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.