Defy


Defy by Sara B Larson
A lush and gorgeously written debut, packed with action, intrigue, and a thrilling love triangle.
Alexa Hollen is a fighter. Forced to disguise herself as a boy and serve in the king's army, Alex uses her quick wit and fierce sword-fighting skills to earn a spot on the elite prince's guard. But when a powerful sorcerer sneaks into the palace in the dead of night, even Alex, who is virtually unbeatable, can't prevent him from abducting her, her fellow guard and friend Rylan, and Prince Damian, taking them through the treacherous wilds of the jungle and deep into enemy territory.
The longer Alex is held captive with both Rylan and the prince, the more she realizes that she is not the only one who has been keeping dangerous secrets. And suddenly, after her own secret is revealed, Alex finds herself confronted with two men vying for her heart: the safe and steady Rylan, who has always cared for her, and the dark, intriguing Damian. With hidden foes lurking around every corner, is Alex strong enough to save herself and the kingdom she's sworn to protect? - Goodreads
 Defy just came out this week and I got an awesome deal on it on Amazon. It was really pretty good. It was the debut book from author Sara B Larson. I loved the era that the book was set in, castles and kings. The kingdoms have been in war for a while, well almost all of Alexa's life. Alexa posses as a boy to make sure that she is safe. The king has an awful idea of how women should be treated, so I think I would have done the same thing in Alexa's shoes.

The book was a quick read, I read most of it Thursday night. I liked the story and thought it developed well. I did not enjoy the dreaded YA love triangle. I personally have never been torn between two guys and it just seems so odd that quite a few books have this story line. Does this happen to people a lot? Did I miss out on some high school drama because I was not torn between two handsome boy that had eyes only for me?

I am interested to see where the series is going to go. The book ends well and almost could be a standalone. There are only a few unanswered questions, but I don't think I would be heartbroken if they did not get answered.

On a side note - I normally read on my IPad with the Book app before that on my Nook. I had to download the Kindle app since I bought the book of Amazon. I was so amazed when I saw a little note on the bottom of my app saying that I has only 2 hours and 30 minutes left to finish the book. What a cool addition, I am jealous that my normal reading app does not do this. Although, I did stay up reading later because I knew that I only had half an hour to go.

Add to Goodreads



5 comments

  1. Hahhah, I missed that drama in high school too, obviously. I'm glad you like it. I have heard a lot of great things about this book, need to check it out :)

    Baileys @ Unladylike Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't read Defy yet, but it's on my list. I don't have any personal experiences with teenage love triangles, but they sound exhausting. They do make for some fun reading, though. (Well, not always, but you know.) Is this book the first in a series, or is it a standalone?

    I saw your comment on The Paper Sea, and since I'm also relatively new to the book blogosphere I just throught I'd pop on over and say hi. I'm looking forward to reading your posts! If you'd like, feel free to stop by Bookmark Dragon as well (www.bookmarkdragon.com). I'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review! I wans't a big fan of Defy...mostly because I really liked Alexa and I thought she became really weak after everyone learnt she was a girl. I mean, she was fighting everyone! And then BOOM, they know she's a girl and suddenly Rylan and Damien have to "protect" her? What's with that? She was awesome at the beginning. I also felt Damien was better developed as a character then Rylan. It was a bit of a "meh" book for me, but I was pretty keen on the world building. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she definitely lost herself. I am hoping that she will be better in the next book

      Delete
  4. I've added this book to my 'to read' list as well. And while I agree love triangles aren't realistic, I do like reading them for pure dramatic value (when they are well done that is). Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.