Curtsies & Conspiracies

Does one need four fully grown foxgloves for decorating a dinner table for six guests? Or is it six foxgloves to kill four fully grown guests?
Sophronia's first year at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality has certainly been rousing! For one thing, finishing school is training her to be a spy (won't Mumsy be surprised?). Furthermore, Sophronia got mixed up in an intrigue over a stolen device and had a cheese pie thrown at her in a most horrid display of poor manners.
Now, as she sneaks around the dirigible school, eavesdropping on the teachers' quarters and making clandestine climbs to the ship's boiler room, she learns that there may be more to a school trip to London than is apparent at first. A conspiracy is afoot--one with dire implications for both supernaturals and humans. Sophronia must rely on her training to discover who is behind the dangerous plot-and survive the London Season with a full dance card.
In this sequel to bestselling author Gail Carriger's YA debut Etiquette & Espionage, class is back in session with more petticoats and poison, tea trays and treason. Gail's distinctive voice, signature humor, and lush steampunk setting are sure to be the height of fashion this season. (Goodreads)
The second book, Curtsies and Conspiracies was good, but I was saddened that I did not fall in love with it as much as I did Etiquette & Espionage. I am almost thinking that I was not as drawn to the book because I was reading it rather than listening to the audiobook. The audiobook had this wonderful reader with a British accent that brought the story to life.
 I also did not find as many hilarious quotes in the book as I did in the first one. There was a particularly amusing part with Sidheag described what male geniality was like. I was laughing out loud, for that one.
I really did enjoy Soap – and even though there was a mild love triangle in this book, it was not obsessive, mostly because Sophronia was not really into either guy that much. Pillover has definitely become one of my favorite characters for his quiet intuition. He is kind of like the Silent Bob in the book.
The main issue I had with the book is that the plot wasn't really well developed. I guess I am still not 100% sure why it was so the valve was that important and would have liked that flushed out more.Both books I was so wrapped up in the day to day events that the plot of the story almost seemed like a subplot. There were points I couldn't really figure out where the story was going, but I like it, so I didn't stop reading. It was an odd situation.
I do enjoy the school so much and even dream at night of the floating boat. I would love to see this series made into a tv series or movie and have my imagination come out on the big screen!



5 comments

  1. I haven't read the first book yet but it does sound like a very fun series and I think I'd like it. I often found i'm less satisfied with a sequel so if it still got 4 stars that's pretty good to me! I do love humor in my books, too. I'll give this series a try on audiobook - always looking for new recs for those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been eyeing this series for a long time. I don't know what is stopping me from picking it up! It looks like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Etiquette & Espionage, in fact, I love all of Gail Carriger's books :) she's one of my favorite authors. I'm sorry you didn't love Curtsies & Conspiracies that much, but I'm glad you still liked it. I haven't read it yet though, I need to get on with it soon. Listening to this series on audiobooks must be really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Gail Carriger so much, but I still haven't started E&E yet--I must fix that! I'm glad to see you enjoyed this. I might try the audiobooks, it would be lovely to experience this series that way.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you didn't like this book so much. I'll admit it took me a little longer to get into this one but perhaps that's because some of the novelty of the series has worn off. They do read quite young and it is the novelty and humour that I love so much about them so possibly the second time around it's not quite as charming and you can see beyond that into things that may disappoint.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you thought of the book or others you think I will like! Please share your thoughts! Thank you for the thought, but I am not participating in awards.