The Farm triology

The Farm by Emily McKay

I found this book in a list on Pinterest and thought I would give it a try. I barely ever read the back of books because I always want to be surprised by the story. So without any preconceived notions, I had no idea what was going on when the story started. The main character is a girl named Lily. It is a post- apocalyptic world where the teens are all now living in “farms,” the one Lily lived in is an old college building. The teens were split into categories of greens, breeders or collaborators "collabs".

The Greens were essentially being fatten up to be feed to Ticks, almost like zombie vampires. They were required to eat meals at certain times and were given meals of fatty processed foods. The breeders tried to be constantly pregnant because the Ticks did not like humans with pregnancy hormones. 

Lily and her twin sister, Mel are in the farm, they mainly keep to themselves because Mel has autism and does not function well with the lack of routine and her normal medication. Lily helps keep Mel calm. The book is written from both Lily and Mel's point-of-view. Mel talks a lot about the rhythm of life and the music she hears through other people.

Then Carter enters the story and the up to the point of her meeting Carter, the story was actually really catching, you did not have any idea of what was going on and what was going to happen next. Carter ends up being from Lily's high school and believes that she has a "super power" that can save everyone from the Ticks. 

And finally we meet Sebastian, a vampire, who differs from Ticks because he is able to control himself and his humanity. He is trying to find his place in the vampire ruling with someone who has the ability to change the emotions and feelings of the people around her. He believes, through Carter, that this person is Lily.

The book was odd. I read the entire thing, so it didn't make me put it down, but I feel like the story started so cool and really lost the dystopian feel. The farm and teens being treated like food but adding in the story line about the super power seemed to take away from the story I thought I was reading from the beginning. The second book in the trilogy is out and I am not sure if I am going to pick it up at all or at some point in the future, but I didn't feel like heading right into that book, which is called The Liar.

Add to Goodreads